… as told by the 2-year-old….I mean, who else really knows the truth!
- When you say, “we’re going to the beach today,” is there a way you could have explained hours and hours….and HOURS in a carseat?
- The words “water” and “waves” don’t exactly convey the truth of a huge expanse of ice bath. And really, “here comes a little wave” greatly depends on your perspective ….because something that hits me squarely in the chest seems a bit like a typhoon.
- When I say “bandaid,” I don’t mean that you should put one on my badly skinned knee…and I certainly don’t mean you should rip off more skin in removing it. I’m actually trying to tell you that my boo-boo really hurts. That is blood, after all.
- “Night, night” and “nap time” are NOT two of my favorite words, even if they are yours.
- You know those two right-footed over-sized plastic shoes I wore the whole trip out because you didn’t pay enough attention to me (kid number 5 – geesh!!) – you think they might have something to do with the wounds on my feet? Or are you just going to label me “Banged-up Seth” and add more bandaids?!?
- It seems to me that the brothers are making some choices in flavors at Yums Yums Ice Cream and you’re going to give me a tiny bit of vanilla again? I mean, really, is it my fault that the chocolate stained the white shirt? Who put that shirt on me anyway?
- So it took you four days to “realize” that you had a size 1 wetsuit in the swim bucket that actually fit me? Well, yeah, I look adorable – I’m also finally warm, thank you. Days and days of mind-numbing teeth chattering pain….and now I’m “adorable.”
- Apparently I didn’t see the big hole that sent me flying into that rock and “owwie” actually means “I’m hurt.” Yes, this is blood on my hand. What….it’s two hours later and you’re going to act shocked that the middle part of my front tooth is missing?!? Really?!?
- You may think he looks like a nice dentist but I don’t think I need any gloved fingers in my mouth. Okay, Sunshine Dentistry, the balloons are a nice touch.
- Have you tried to eat a pretzel rod with half of your tooth missing?
- When I say “gaglassh,” I am not referring to your glasses, nor my desire for a pair of sunglasses, nor a giraffe…or grass….or anything else you’re coming up with. Why do you tall things think that you know everything?
- At what point did I not make myself perfectly clear that I don’t want to have my picture taken on the beach this morning?
- Well what do you think? If you tumbled down a staircase 10 times your size, do you think you might be a bit ouchy too? And you want me to tell you where it hurts?!?
- Wait – you’re going to refer to me as “23 pounds of spunk”…. ”loud”…. ”stubborn”…. ”persistent”…. “independent” – gosh, look what I have to put up with – 4 rambunctious boys and you! (see also the older brother’s view a couple years ago: http://middleofthemadness.org/2012/08/14/top-ten-disney/)
- I don’t really find it funny when you smugly say “I only have to understand half of what he says since he’s two years old.” Didn’t I hear somewhere that you have a degree in development? I’d also like to know when that pediatrics degree is going to help me any – let’s look at the bandaid….tooth….stairway incidents, for example. Who gave you those degrees anyway?
- So, you think it’s cute to road trip with me wearing a shirt saying “My parents are exhausted.” It’s more like “My parents are exhausting!” So happy to be home – put me to bed, “peas.”
You’re fun and funny! That’s a riot!
…and I hope you’re not as hard on yourself as the are the words you put in the mouth of the son for whom you ghost-wrote! LOL
You’re a great mom!
Thanks for spreading the laughs! 🙂
Thanks. I’m not too hard on myself….but am very reflective about parenting. It’s an important job and I’m so happy to be doing it. Thanks for your encouragement.